Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Silvia Ji La Catrina

Silvia Jii La Catrina
A fantastic artist with a distinct style with allher painting. The women with a skull looking tattoo on her face have become almost her personal symbol. It's incredible for me how she could create so many paintings just based on the same idea over and over again. However everytime she painted a new painting it looks distinct and with a new sense of feeling to it. Another thing is just i basically love the way she mingles the color and the women/symbol. I love her paintings both with the colors and the hauntingly beautiful women with a skull tattoo on her face. 








2 comments:

  1. Okay, I admit the title of this post first got my attention. I recognized the skeleton woman as the Mexican goddess on the Day of the Dead. Her name is indeed Catrina. Then I looked closer at Sylvia Ji's works. I really liked the gracefulness and femininity in her paintings, although I'm usually not a fan of overly-idealized depictions of human. Her use of colors is very powerful. I wonder what made her so obsessed with La Catrina and what is the meaning of this iconic image in her painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silvia Ji La Catrina's works have a really strong graphical sense to it. Even though I'm not sure why her works are associated with the skull tattoo on her face, it's creepy and mesmerizing at the same time. I've noticed that in each work the eyes seem to be a little different. Some works communicate confidence while other works show solemnness.Although her works are great, they seem a bit too over refined to me.

    ReplyDelete